The Kennel Club Dog Show hosted by Westminster every year is one of the country’s most awaited sporting events. Here are some notable and interesting facts you would want to know about it:
- 1. It is one of the original sporting events in the country.
This dog show has been a source of entertainment for many people since 1877. Imagine this: The Kennel Club Dog Show already exists even before the light bulb was invented!
- 2. Terriers dominate the Best in Show award.
Terriers have different breeds such as the Airedale, Irish and Cairn. Sporting breeds such as the Golden Retriever, Cocker Spaniel, and Weimaraner come in second.
- 3. Beagles have only one twice in this competition.
The first Beagle, Uno won Best in Show during 2008. Miss Peyton, who is also called by her owners as Tashtins Lookin for Trouble was the second one to win Best in Show in 2015.
- 4. Want to dine for free in Sardi’s? Try your dog’s luck in winning this competition.
A free dinner in this popular New York restaurant awaits the winners of this dog show. The 2015 winner had her favorite steak fed by the president of the famous restaurant.
- 5. Madison Square Garden is the home of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show
The place has been renovated four times already. The organizers have not chosen any other venue for the dog show ever since.
- 6. The Retrievers have yet to prove their worth in this competition.
Despite being tagged as two of the country’s most loved breeds, the Golden Retriever and the Labrador have not yet scored any Best in Show award.
- 7. All participants are members of the American Kennel Club.
Being registered with the AKC is a requirement before anyone can participate. This has been the practice ever since it started in 1884.
- 8. Mixed breeds can only join the agility event.
Mixed breeds started participating in the agility event in 2014. The other events are open for pure breeds only.
- 9. Registration fee increased by $73 from its original free.
The price for registration when the dog show started is only $2. Today, a registered will be taken care of for a price of $75.
- 10. The dog show already existed before the number of states in the country increased to 50.
There were only 38 states when the first dog show transpired. States like Washington and Oklahoma did not yet exist during that time.