It’s almost that time of year again: the time of door-to-door candy collecting and negotiations with your children as to why they can not have just one more piece of candy before dinner. Halloween is a fun holiday for everyone. The children, for obvious reasons, fully enjoy it but adults, and pets alike, can also have a great time as well. There is something nostalgic about taking the kids trick or treating, even on the rainy, cold and dreary days that sometimes fall upon Halloween. In addition to your people family, your pet may be included in the fun as well. Depending on your individual dog and their tolerance, they too may join in some of the walking around and costume wearing fun. While it’s great to include your pet in your family’s fun, it’s also very important to keep a close eye on your pet to ensure their health and safety during Halloween.
Chocolate – Chocolate has been long known to be very unhealthy for dogs. Chocolate contains chemicals and ingredients that can cause severe conditions, even death.
Raisins – Raisins, as well as grapes, should never be given to your dog. Raisins, like chocolate, can also lead to intestinal conditions or even death.
Many Halloween treats contain chocolate and/or raisins. It’s especially important to always, always keep these food items, and any other foods that your dog should not ingest, away from your pooch.
Make sure candy is not left out on the floor, or on a counter, table or chair that your dog can access. Kids tend to leave candy laying around after they sort their loot and that can mean big temptation for your dog. Always make sure you place foods that your pet needs to stay away from in a container, in an unreachable place for your dog. Teach your children to keep these, and all other items away from your dog. Maintain a healthy diet or your dog and and offer them only pet-friendly treats.